Summer Course in Gregorian Chant 2021
Monday August 23 up to and including Friday August 27, 2021
The Amici Cantus Gregoriani Foundation, in association with the Early Music department of the Royal Conservatoire, is organising a special Summer Course in Gregorian Chant in the Kloosterkerk in The Hague from 23 to 27 August 2021.
Registration is open until June 1st 2021.
The course is intended for singers and conductors, music students (at conservatories and universities) and young academics with different levels of experience. The participants will be divided into four groups, two groups for singers and two for conductors. In both cases, there will be a basic level and an advanced level. The course will cover various approaches to Gregorian chant, with a particular emphasis on the results of recent research. The course will conclude with a concert of Gregorian chant and polyphony by teachers (& friends) and a closing performance in which the teachers will be joined by the course participants. The organisers anticipate that 80-100 participants from the Netherlands and abroad will attend the course.
COVID-19 and Cancellation
The health of all students is our top priority.
That is why we will work in accordance with the then applicable COVID-19 guidelines of the national government.
If we unexpectedly have to decide to cancel the course, students will be refunded the transferred course fee.
The teachers will be:
- Anthony Zielhorst (general course leader and teacher of the basic course for conductors)
- Simone van den Dool (basic course for singers)
- Eugeen Liven D’Abelardo (advanced course for singers)
- Jaan-Eik Tulve (advanced course for conductors)
There will be lectures by the following specialists:
- Joost van Gemert (debate about Gregorian chant since around 1800 and the work of Solesmes)
- Marcel Zijlstra (Gregorian semiology)
- Kees Pouderoijen (composition techniques in Gregorian chant during the Carolingian era)
- Franco Ackermans (melodic restitutions by AISCGRe)
- Leo Lousberg (the signalling function of Gregorian microtones)
- Antoine Bodar (the significance of Gregorian chant for West European culture)
- Bart Jaski (early manuscripts in the music library of Utrecht University)
The quoted prices include lunch, dinner and snacks throughout the day.
Course participants have to arrange their own accommodation. Suggestions for accommodation near the venue can be found on the foundation’s website.
|Regular price||€ 450,-|
|Students of Royal Conservatoire||€ 150,-|
|Day ticket||€ 90,-|
|Passe-partout for 5 lectures||€ 80,-|
|1 lecture,-||€ 20,-|
The course will take place in the Kloosterkerk in The Hague from 23 to 27 August 2021.
Address: Lange Voorhout 4, 2514 ED Den Haag
Registration and payment via the website of the Gregoriaans-platform.nl/zomercursus-summercourse
Registration is open from 1 November 2020 until 1 June 2021